Scope: Urban Mosadi

1) Motherhood: How has it been so far? The changes in your world.

Every-time I am asked this, I always feel like I should have a profound response...And I don't really. In the beginning, my answer was that it's tiring. I hardly slept. But now that my daughter is growing, her sleeping patterns are more bearable, and becoming 'normal'. But what i am learning is that motherhood is a doing word, a verb! A mother must be pragmatic by nature! My whole life has totally changed, and I thought I was prepared, but I doubt anything prepares you for this type of reorder. I'd give my life for her!





2) Being a tastemaker is something which is highly adorned by trend analysts and setters. Why choose to be one instead of a trendsetter?

Glad that you are aware of the subtle difference. I'm a tastemaker in the making. I believe that we can all be tastemakers should we so wish. But having been exposed to brands through his tips abroad, my father played a significant role in sparking my love for 'nice things'. I have big dreams of making stuff that speaks to me and represent me. I also customize camera straps...I'm working on it.



3) Not a day goes by without...

...Me changing a diaper!





4) A question I always ask everyone, what are you currently jamming on your stereo?



Frank Ocean's Strawberry Swing is STILL on repeat, and in between I play some Fela Kuti, Dave Mathew's Band, Kwaito 90's Mix and Damian Marley & Nas' Distant Relatives in the car.






5) In conjunction with settling in Cape Town, do you think it has brought a different perspective towards your wellbeing as compared to the whole busy Jozi vibes?



I made the decision to move to Capetown soon after coming back from Los Angeles. I seem to have ants in my pants every-time I'm in myJoHo for too long. Moving to the 021 has brought me to where I envisioned myself to be, personally. Creatively I also feel the Coast is more accepting. The two cities are diametrically opposite. One has the ocean and the other has traffic. I'm happy to raise my daughter in Capetown for now, but I am in no way tied down to one place. Although I was born and bred in JoHo, I struggle to identify with the 'cut throat' culture it's synonymous for. Politics aside, Capetown is unhurried and I'm absolutely fine with that.





6) How would you define happiness?



For the longest time I chased happiness, honestly believing it dwelled in a place or a person. But 30 years of being on earth i can confidently say that true happiness lies in a freshly made strawberry daiquiri.



More of the Urban Mosadi here.