Scope: Love, Life and Luminousity.

1) Makosha. A beautiful name for a beautiful lady with a beautiful mind. What does your name mean to you and how does it reflect on your personal wellbeing and daily life?



Why thank you Thanda.


Well first of all I am named after my paternal grandmother, who was an incredibly spiritual woman, a sage, a singer/dancer and an astute entrepreneur ( to raise her kids ) in her days. So I am completely honoured to be named after her and to carry the strength her name gives me everyday. That being said, the name Makosha means "Mother of song" or "She who gives birth to music" , and given how obsessed I am with music I think I was pretty aptly named. Another funny thing which is by no means related to me personally , is that Makosha is also the name of the Slavic goddess of fertility and femininity - her name means "Mother of the basket" . Just interesting how the name has two very different but in a way kind of similar positive meanings attached to it.




2) The changes that the world needs (In your context) are...



Education, Education, Education. I can only look at this in a South African context, and what South Africa needs is more educated people. It's actually the most critical thing for our development as a country and the irony is that our education system is so shoddy. I spent a few days earlier this year in rural Eastern Cape, being immersed into their education system, visiting schools and interacting with the learners as well as the teachers, and it was incredibly sad and eye opening to see how challenging going to school, getting and giving an education is for most of South Africa. The people who need it the most are just not getting it, add to that all the socio-economic problems the learners face and you have a situation where most young people in this country are just not motivated to go to school which frustratingly is the only way out for them . Yeah so I guess the change we need is for everyone to sort of roll their sleeves up and get involved whichever way they can to get this country educated, be it academically, or teaching life skills.



3) Being a Doepel (A 3rd of Doepelganger) in this age, how does it feel being part of this collective of such influential ladies in the world of creative, intelligent design and art world?




Hahaha. The funny thing is that we (doepelganger) haven't really done much but curate a few experiences, pay attention to some detail and encourage collaboration across music, fashion and art. So when you say influential it kinda makes me laugh, I don't really view us that way and perhaps I am being modest, but doepelganger really is just an extension of our personalities, and the things we are passionate about.

And I guess learning how to be true to ourselves as multi-dimensional beings, using creativity to celebrate that, and celebrating it in other people too. Doepelganger is still an infant who needs to be nurtured and loved and burped, but it's been an amazing journey and a real blessing.



4) Being a hopeless romantic feels like...




It feels like all the worlds' beautiful and sometimes heartstring - tugging metaphors seem to fall in your lap all the time.


Maybe it has to do with my being an intense scorpio or maybe I've watched one too many romcoms, and yes I am dramatic but who can resist a grandiose gesture in the name of love? And I don't mean grandiose in a bling bling extravagant way, but when someone goes out of their way to step out of their usual self and do something chivalrous or considerate or even really really small JUST to make you smile. That.



5) A night of fun in your world involves?




Good company. There is nothing that can stand in the way of a fun night with good company, regardless of what the night involves. I must say though, I enjoy conversation over a glass ( or bottle!! ) of wine, with great music in the background and a storm of laughter. That's a night of fun, and it's how I prefer spending my nights out.





6) I absolutely loathe...




. I cannot stand caterpillars or any worm-like creatures and spiders, jayzzzz I LOATHE spiders. I mean I wouldn't go around killing them or anything but boy do they give me the creeps !



7) A day in my life usually consists of...





Duh-Rama!


I am a Strategic Planner for an advertising agency, so there's ALWAYS some crisis or drama or an interesting happening. Never a dull moment. It's challenging, high pressure, tight deadlines, constantly producing work, selling ideas, being rejected, dusting yourself off and going back in for more rejection, that amazing feeling when your work gets bought first time around, pitching on new business ( where you cut your advertising teeth ) and winning it. There are plenty of highs, and plenty of dramatics, and yes some lows but I can't imagine myself doing anything else right now, I really love my job.










When I'm not working I'm either with good company or in my own company which I really enjoy, especially with a big glass of wine!



More on Em Kay here.